Kid’s Corner

Welcome to the Kid’s Corner of IPSO Kid Stroke Connections! Explore games, activities and fun facts that will help
readers understand what pediatric stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases are, and what to expect if you have
been affected by them. Each issue of IPSO Kid Stroke Connections will include related content created with kids in
mind, so check back for more fun things to investigate!

September 2023 Issue: Back to School for Kids After a Stroke

Here’s what kids like you have to say about going back to school after a stroke.

Read with us!

This issue we recommend that you celebrate your senses and learn about how a little girl and her family have been impacted by stroke with these books:

• My Brain is Magic by Prasha Sooful
  • I See You, Little Naomi by Stefanie Boggs-Johnson

Play the video below for a special read aloud by our resident librarian!

What’s going on in YOUR brain?

Extra! Extra! Read all about me!

Let your teachers know that you have had a stroke, and how they can help you learn with this printable About Me form!

Back to School About Me Form

Checkout Archived Kid’s Corners below!

The Kid’s Corner is led by Ora Asheton and Ashley Brock, two members of the IPSO Editorial Board. Their goals are to create and share information that is easy to understand for children and their loved ones. Please contact us if you have any information you would like to share through IPSO’s Kid’s Corner or would like to get involved.

Ora Asheton, BSN, RN, CPN, CCRC

Ora Asheton, BSN, RN, CPN, CCRC

Clinical Data Manager

Cook Children’s Medical Center

Ora is the clinical data manager for the hematology research team at Cook Children’s Medical Center (CCMC) in Fort Worth, Texas, USA. She is a certified pediatric nurse and clinical research coordinator. She co-chairs the CCMC Nursing and Evidence-Based Practice Council and is a founding member of the CCMC Nursing Inclusion, Diversity and Equity Committee. In addition to being a charter member of the International Pediatric Stroke Organization, she is an active member of the Transcultural Nursing Society, the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, and the Association of Clinical Research Professionals. Ora passionately believes that clinical research and building equitable partnerships with patient families through education and cultural humility are vital to improving health outcomes.

Ashley Brock, MLS AHIP

Ashley Brock, MLS AHIP

Family Library/Literacy Program Manager

Cook Children’s Medical Center

Ashley is the Family Library/Literacy Program Manager at Cook Children’s Medical Center (CCMC) in Fort Worth, Texas, USA.  She has a Master of Library Science from Texas Woman’s University and is credentialed by the Academy of Health Information Professionals. She is past chair of the Patient Education and Health Literacy Council and librarian for the CCMC Nursing Evidence-Based Practice Council. She provides information for families to support health literacy and family centered care.  Passionate about information that is easy to find and understand, she was drawn to the opportunity to support the IPSO Kid’s Corner.

Like IPSO Kid’s Corner? Use the links below to share it with someone else who might enjoy it!